15th August 2019 – was Raksha Bandhan – an auspicious day in the Hindu calendar sisters and brothers, however with everybody’s hectic work lives we celebrated the occasion Saturday the 17th August 2019. s
We are four sisters – no brothers – but we have a number of cousins that are brothers (the bonus of being close knit Indian families) – I invited my cousins and sisters and their families over to my place for tea and to perform the ritual of tying a rakhee – we have to celebrate these occasions so that our kids and grandchildren can learn, enjoy and carry these traditions forward.
Every family get-together is now always surrounded around the kids – and what they will enjoy – and my mini vegan cupcakes are always a hit amongst and young and old. I have baked these many times and it has always been successful – all of us love it – and as my son says – “because we know no better”, he eats cakes with eggs and milk – so mine are not on the top of his list – however all us who it vegan – thoroughly enjoyed them and the little ones – “well granny made it for them with the sparkles and works”, so they were happy with it as well.
From my pictures you will note that no measurement spoon or scoop was used to fill the cupcake cases – somewhere to full and others were maybe just right
Vegan Cup Cakes
400ml cake flour
50ml corn flour
5ml bicarbonate soda
2ml baking powder
175ml castor sugar
10ml vanilla essence
80ml sunflower oil
15ml apple cider vinegar
100ml icing sugar
25ml coconut cream
5ml vanilla essence
5ml sunflower oil
- Heat oven to 180 degrees and grease muffin pans – (mini or normal) or pan of your choice
- Sift the flour, corn flour, bicarbonate soda, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and add the castor sugar and mix well
- Now mix the liquid ingredients and beat till well blended – add the liquid mixture to dry ingredients while stirring and ensuring that both dry and liquid ingredients are well mixed
- Pour into muffin pans or a large cake pan and bake for 25-30minutes for cupcakes and 35-40minutes for larger cake – test with a skewer before removing
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for about 10-15minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to completely cool
- Serve it as is or with a dusting of icing sugar and cocoa or with some melted vegan chocolate or a vegan buttercream frosting – and decorate with all the bells and whistles + sparkles
- Blend all icing ingredients with a spoon – before using a whisk to whisk and incorporate some air – place in a piping bag and decorate as per your choice.