Two Days To Diwali 2012
Countdown to Diwali 2012, TWO DAYS to go, and the burfee (milk like fudge) gulab jamboo (Indian version of doughnut) and chana magaj (a sort of fudge made with chick pea flour) all made, garnished, sliced and packed. ONE DAY to go and I need to prepare shrine at home for the “Diwali Day Prayer”. Ensure that I have enough lamps/candles to light up my home.
I also need to ensure all the gifts are wrapped and labelled and need to make up little “goody boxes” which comprises all the goodies that I prepared at home. When we were younger my grandfather chose to distribute close on to 40-45 gift parcels during Diwali, thankfully I am not continuing that that tradition. I only get gifts for my 3 sisters + husbands, 2 sons and daughter in law, nephew, 2 nieces and my mother. My sisters and mum get something for the house, the kiddies all get toys and books, my sons and daughter in law get something of a personal nature.
Todays recipes are for burfee and chana magaj
1 x 155g can of cream
75ml powdered almonds
25ml rose water
375g icing sugar
5-6 strands of saffron
50ml finely coloured almonds-garnish
50ml finely chopped pistachios-garnish
- Mix cream and klim in a food processor till they resemble fine bread crumbs
- Add the powdered almonds, cardamom and mix well
- Place milk, rose water and 30ml sugar in a large non-stick pot and bring to the boil
- When the sugar is dissolved add the butter, when the butter is dissolved add the icing sugar, saffron strands and boil for about 10 minutes
- Add the klim mixture, lower heat and cook for 15-20 minutes before removing from heat
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before pouring into greased tray and allowing to stand till you ready to serve
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop 2 spoons full into desired dessert bowls and garnish with the coloured almonds, pistachios and edible glitter
- Alternatively garnish with coloured almonds, edible glitter and allow the mixture to cool and set overnight in the greased trays, and then cut into desired shapes.
250ml chick pea flour
10ml cardamom powder
45ml ground almonds
250ml icing sugar
50ml coloured almonds (garnish)
- Heat the milk with 20ml ghee, and mix into the flour
- Heat the 250ml ghee in a heavy based pot and add the cardamom and 45ml ground almonds
- Add the flour mixture to the ghee, continue mixing and cook over medium heat for about 45 minutes or until the mixture turns light brown
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, before adding the sifted icing sugar and klim, more cardamom and almonds can be added if desired and mix thoroughly
- Pour mixture into greased trays and garnish with slivered almonds, allow set overnight before cutting into desired shapes. .