Rusks known by a number of other names is simply dried bread that is usually eaten after having being dipped in tea or coffee. For many of us it is our “go to” comfort snack during the fast approaching winter months.
Rusks were traditionally baked at home using sweet bread or a muffin recipe and it is dried under low heat for about an hour. Today like with everything else there are a number of mass-produced versions available at local supermarkets, however there are many home industries, delis and bakeries that sell the home made versions that always have the added flavours of luxury ingredients.
My version is made using a ready Sasko Quick Treats Bran Muffin Mix and some added nutritious ingredients that somehow make you feel less guilty when dunking more than 1 in a cup of chai or coffee.
Multi Seed Bran Rusks
500g Sasko Quick Treats Bran Muffin Mix
125ml Sasko Digestive Bran
125ml flax seed meal
250 ml seed mix (sunflower, sesame, flax and pumpkin)
60ml finely chopped almonds
10ml cinnamon powder
250ml butter milk
250ml fat free milk (approximate)
30ml sesame seeds (garnish)
30ml chopped almonds (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 180 and grease and line a standard oven tray
- Empty bran muffin mix into a mixing bowl and add the bran, flax meal, seed mix, almonds, salt and cinnamon
- In a large measuring jug and using a whisk, mix oil, butter milk and 125ml of the milk
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well (add more milk if necessary), to form a relatively stiff batter
- Pour batter onto a greased baking tray (standard oven tray is a perfect size), and sprinkle sesame seeds and almonds over the top before baking for about 30minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10-15minutes before cutting into desired shapes ( I cut them into blocks and the mixture yielded me 40 pieces
- Do not remove the pieces from the tray—once cut place them back in the oven for a further 10minutes
- Now switch the oven off remove rusks from tray and place on a cooling rack and leave them in the oven to completely dry out
- It may be necessary to dry them further in a warm oven for about 30-40minutes
- Serve with coffee or chai